วันจันทร์ที่ 4 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2553

Inspectors should not laugh

One of the most fascinating aspects of Marine Surveying is that the day of the inspection, you do not know what you're there. I have been involved in one way or another, should, with all types of boats for over thirty years and I believe that the motto of the experts "expect the unexpected." In a business, often deadly serious, where people's lives and tens of thousands of dollars to other people in danger, it's worth a few necessary skills, patience and diplomacy to develop between them ifDealing with often tense and sometimes almost hostile situations distribute.

My first associations with the boats started on the Thames, where the construction of the boat has been my life in the mud and the mist freezing of different shipyards. The number of evaluators has been different. Wore a tie, clean clothes and had a rare commodity, treated with respect. His word was law, did not argue with him, you know, and even the manufacturers crusty old man nodded and sunk, when "theExperts "came to visit. The fact that these are respectable numbers, something so bizarre a thing as a sense of humor was unthinkable. One rainy, gray morning, a major customer was with his pride and joy for the known and the pompous owner of all time has given a tough guy. The surveyor was expected, and it was clear the owner had to appear around the edge and committed to the managers.

If the assessment, the owner came out the shortest route directly to him and so condescendingshouted

"Where are you, I'm in a hurry and can not block all day. There's nothing wrong with this boat is perfect around the world and not even need a survey, we need to re-insured."

The supervisor said nothing, went immediately and has a long and thorough inspection. Finally he finished and slowly unscrewed the top of his fountain pen Parker. A still from the courtyard, the surveyor and owner of another.

"Well, whatthe verdict is not true, Land Surveyor? "snorted the owner.

The inspector looked into his eyes and said aloud, but slowly

"The bulls will rot, the images are cracked and the only thing keeping the thing is damn fast, the worms to keep your hands to repair them .... Ten pounds please!"

He handed the mug owners opened his account, he turned and swept back to his old black Morris! Fantastic! I will never forget, and I never dreamed in those days would effectively endto a surveyor, but I'm here and I must admit there may be some funny things sometimes.

Another case involved me going to check with my boss, who was a surveyor, diving, salvage and mechanics in a boat, floating in an old house in ruins, a serious loss. Irvine, my boss had pulled a nest in the ground and pointed the flashlight in bilges flooded.

"Where is your automatic bilge pump?" Said Irvine.

"I have" none "," the man shrugged his shoulders.

OnlyThey turn the pump by hand if the level gits t 'floor. "

Suddenly, the woman reported the man behind him,

"Why Dontcha Tell 'im the truth, he sleeps'm Wiv my arm out of bed for a year. If" hand is wet,' E and turns on the pump. 'Cept the other night he returned drunk from the pub crawls the water level is "poor," he peed on the bed, woke up "imself and if he had not" sunk We ave ... This is the reason for your'ere. "

.... Priceless Stuff How could you forgive a straight face.

However, I must admit, I have my moments, and a classic that I often think, is the houseboat was for sale on the Gold Coast. The client had seen the announcement of the local "house boat for sale, $ 7000, must be a craftsman." The agreement with him on the beach before we were both able to satisfy completely speechless. It takes a craftsman's all right, because was only the top protruded from the water ... shower sunk! TheOwner himself said later, was taken because the investigation ... What cheek!

Many great moments on the investigations are unexpectedly. I was in Hope Harbor, very elegant, great 'in Taiwan fishing vessel "ship in a good condition for its years. The owner was very trim, intelligent, and wore large gold rings on his fingers and big cigars incessantly, even if they still smoked deck. Once again it was fantastic and was the proud owner of Airy proclaim what he spent on maintenance and upkeep ofBoat intelligent. In truth, he had spent thousands and was very excited when I inspected the chain locker and winch asked. I removed the door and was surprised by a lot of bright new shiny 3 / 8 stainless steel anchor chain to be seen.

He was beside himself with pride and he blew himself up when he said:

"Three big .... einstausendfünfhundert Plus to anchor in stainless steel up."

I was not only impressed, but surprised when my fingers found searching the free end of the chainCricket loose and wrong. Quickly realizing that he had forgotten to put the mark of the new chain around the boat, I seized the moment, pulled the shiny chains and seriously said,

"Hmm, well if you ever do, this beautiful new chain put on that old dirty water mill, the best that you forget to tie him to this!" And I was holding.

Realization dawns, he relaxed visibly.

"Oh, fuck" with a strong Yorkshire accent, "Ooh, do not tell the wifeAbout this, yes? "

She would be a great experience in cash for a moment, then, is not it? Was very quiet for the rest of the survey.

Disaster is always looking for the unwary and is never far away. A horrible day a few years ago I did a survey on a large boat for a doctor-client. Had from the first moment my client largely ignored and led me to some colleagues to send the day of collection. Was clear minutes from one who had his own agenda and when Itry to explain that the ship was now seen as a workplace and all passing through the pre-inspection drills, and I said that was ignored.

Finally, it was great and gave each a sheet of paper and said:

"I'm right, the survey, there will not we meet on the bridge in one hour, to compare notes."

He fell and fell to the engine hatch and disappeared. Thunderstruck, we stripped to his doctor pronounced colleague Yachthim unharmed apart casings and serious bruises. It was not very happy to be seriously injured was shocked and humble enough to hand the reins back to me.

"Well," murmured conciliatory, "which is really what I'm doing here in the first place."

Secretly, I was afraid at that moment was broken in the fall .... Phew, what a day!

In many cases, for a total of inspectors encounter hostility boat owners and if the broker conspires with him, God's helpThem. I was inspected in Manly, and was a nice Halvorsen cruiser wood. The owner, a German, it was obvious to me and did not even return my greeting. The broker, someone I have not met before, was clearly the speaker for them.

"Do not take too long to not touch or harm anything and do not expect to find something wrong with the boat, is a retired boat builder and do not appreciate any interference!"

We pulled the boat on the note, and I was on the soundlower end with the mallet, when the owner before me peppery ....

"Vot vis Choo gonna do dat?"

"... Well, I ..."

"What is not bloody Choo ZIS Touch dat boat in the hammer, no knife, no plug bloody, Doan go wrong!"

"Ok, then tell me how the tone of the wood, you are a boat builder, is not it?"

"OK mate you try, the boat ze relationship ankles as ZIS!" And beat on the boats below. "As zis obtainedit! "

"Okay," I said, handing him the hammer, "watching the boat and I learn to do it!"

Enraged, he tore my little toffee hammer, threw him to the ground and began rapping on the boat with his knuckles. After about two meters, had injured his hand enough to stop.

"Now you can come .. intelligent Referee ze!"

"No, no," I said, 'You will do a good job, let alone with a hundred feet. "

After another two ankleBruising minutes had really had enough.

"Now I have to go to the toilet ze, now finish it!"

"OK," I said and started to open the trunk with my ankle. He waited until he was satisfied, and then hurried in. I took the hammer and told the customer. "Keep an eye and Call Me When He's back!"

Indeed, a few moments that I had found what our little man had tried to hide all the time, the entire keel was fast and recently replacedneedle and rotted out. When he returned, I said,

"It 'a good way to rap the knuckles, I do not think I'd find the keel rotted without them," and smiled.

Knew ... ... I knew he was crazy ... ... I was raised, game over! If I could live to fight another day!

One of the worst things is for evaluators when a client brings "learned friends" together to help "the inspector. It 'something that does not really need, and you must share yourFoot with a steady hand. What people do not realize that there is a very nerve-wracking and often an emotional moment for selling holders. You do not often sell their pride and joy, and the last thing they need, too, is an army of aliens intent Vandalism their boat. One of these days terrible what has happened and the customer had requested the investigation, was armed, accompanied by at least four burly boaties with sharp objects and all-understanding includes. As the boat glided my clientand all his comrades continue to be loaded and started chipping and cutting the tax suspension, props and below. I was standing next to a man who was clearly the owner. He was red with rage and shouted at me,

"Which of these hybrids is a surveyor?"

Silently, I pointed to my chest, "I, actually."

Calculated sworn terrible and dispersed the crowd with threats too horrible to hear, ribs pushing the knife from his hand and wild. Needlesssay we are all prone to the bar somewhere, and fortunately they stayed out of sight. Do not just do what you do?

Now, all this stuff is not every day, but you can bet your boots, something is always around the corner. It's often scary, sometimes painful, but sometimes something will open and bring some 'sunshine in the life of a poor downtrodden, much maligned by a consultant old dog! Who knows, one day I might write a book on everythingif the mental scars have healed over!

engraved name badges compare car insurance credit auto sales